Para usar muchos verb tenses in English, necesitamos saber the past forms of the verbs. All verbs have a base form or ‘infinitive’ (por ejemplo, look, make, play). La mayoría de verbos, called ‘Regular verbs’, siguen the same pattern y crean the past simple and the past participle using the same word ending, -ed.
There are, however, verbos que tienen different endings, and these are called ‘Irregular verbs.’ At Yuhu you learn the regular and irregular verbs gradually en nuestras clases de gramática, which makes them easier to learn and remember. Here is a “how to learn regular and irregular verbs” con ejemplos and also algunos tips on how to remember them.
Un resumen de English Verb Forms
Todos los verbs in English can have a base form, an -ing form, a past simple form and a past participle.
Usamos the base form para:
- the present simple tense. For example “They live in Valencia.”
- the infinitive. For example, “I want to study Chinese.”
Usamos the -ing form (or el gerundio) for:
- continuous tenses, like the present continuous. For example. “He’s playing”
- verbs as nouns. For example, “Reading books is good for you.”
Y usamos the past participle for:
- perfect tenses, like the present perfect. For example, “I’ve finished my homework.”
- the passive form. For example, ”It was made in China”
- adjectives. For example, “The TV is broken”
What are Regular Verbs?
Regular verbs in English crean the past simple y past participle añadiendo -ed al base form.
Si el verbo ends in a consonant and -y, we change the -y to -i and added -ed. For example:
Si un verbo ends in -e we simply add -d, For example:
Here are some examples of regular verbs:
“Yesterday Roy danced for hours.”
“Sofia has accepted the proposal.”
“Has she finished yet?”
“We really liked the Opera we went to last night.”
Hay tres maneras to pronounce -ed, depending on the last letter of the verb.
What are Irregular Verbs?
There are about 200 irregular verbs in English pero tranquilo, learn them step by step. We can divide these into four types:
- Verbos que tienen the same base form, past simple and past participle
- Verbs que tienen the same past simple and past participle
- Verbs que tienen the same base form and past participle
- Verbs que tienen a different base form, past simple and past participle. ¿Los más difíciles? Venga, be brave.
Una buena manera de aprender irregular verbs is to study them en esos grupos because as they are similar they’re easier to remember. Aquí tenemos the most common irregular verbs in these groups.
“My sports bike cost a lot of money but it’s always breaking down.”
“Billy hurt himself in a soccer match last weekend.”
“Her parents have let her stay out late tonight.”
“They put on their hoodies because it was very cold.”
“They had lunch at `Voltereta Bali´ restaurant on Monday.”
“Have you heard the news about Afghanistan?”
“Paul has sent an email to all his clients.”
“Who won the match?” – “Valencia CF.”
“Le gusta la fiesta, he came back home at 6 a.m. on Saturday.”
“Raquel has become the Managing Director.”
“The dog ran into the garden after Marcos opened the door.”
“Has Fernando come back from lunch yet?”
“The kids ate a lot of cakes at Fran´s birthday party.”
“They drove to the train station and left their car there.”
“Has he taken his medicine yet?”
“I’ve written a letter of application for the intern’s job.”
Yuhu learning tips
So, cuál es the best way para aprender all these irregular verbs?
- Pay attention cuando veas un new verb in your class.
- Crea tus propios ejemplos for every new verb you find.
- Do the exercises about irregular verbs que os dan nuestros teachers or test your English level in our classes.
- Keep a diary in English and write down a few things que hiciste en tu día.
- Read a Learner’s book in English. Los libros están llenos de verbs in their past forms, so reading is really útil para practicar y aprender.
- Focus on learning a few irregular verbs at one time y no memorizar que no sirve para nada ….ya llevais años intentando. So, now it ‘s time for changes!